Plant and Animal Classification
Standard V: Students will understand the physical characteristics of Utah's wetlands, forests, and deserts and identify common organisms for each environment.
Objective 3: PDF - Use a simple scheme to classify Utah plants and animals
- Explain how scientists use classification schemes.
- Use a simple classification system to classify unfamiliar Utah plants or animals (e.g., fish/amphibians/reptile/bird/mammal, invertebrate/vertebrate, tree/shrub/grass, deciduous/conifers).
- Investigation 7 - Classification Schemes
- Students place organisms into correct classification and justify reasoning
- Investigation 8 - Classify UT Plants & Animals
- Students practice using classification keys to identify species
- Leaf Observation Inquiry Sheet
- Animal Classification – Model Lesson
- Classification Workshop – Model Lesson
- Micro-Ponds: An Inquiry Activity – Model Lesson
- Model Lesson from Escalante Elementary
- Book Lists