Grade 1 Science
The Big Ideas (PDF) in first grade are;
- The natural world is composed of different materials.
- The sun can be seen only in the daytime and the moon can be seen sometimes during the day.
- Seasonal weather changes occur each year.
- Things move in many different ways, such as straight, zigzag, round and round, back and forth, and fast and slow.
- The way to change how something is moving is to give it a push or pull.
- Objects can be described in terms of materials they are made from (clay, cloth, paper, etc.) and their physical properties (color, size, shape, weight, texture, flexibility, etc.).
- All kinds of living things have offspring, usually with two parents involved.
- Offspring are very much alike, but not exactly, like their parents and like one another.
- Some animals and plants are alike in the way they look and things they do, and others are very different from one another
- Most living things need water, food, and air.
- Plants and animals need to take in water, and animals need to take in food. In addition, plants need light
- .Animals eat plants and other animals for food.
Click here for a list of the things a first grader should Understand, Do and Know.
Earth and Space Science
Students will gain an understanding of Earth and Space Science through the study of earth materials, celestial movement, and weather.
Students will gain an understanding of Physical Science through the study of the forces of motion and the properties of materials.
Students will gain an understanding of Life Science through the study of changes in organisms over time and the nature of living things.