Grade 2 Science
Note: Second Grade Science Standards are now linked to Wonders. Check the Pacing Guide at the right under Grade 2 Links.
The Big Ideas (PDF) in second grade are;
- Chunks of rocks come in many sizes and shapes, from boulders to grains of sand and even smaller.
- There are recognizable patterns among objects in the night sky.
- Some changes, such as changes in weather can vary based on season and location.
- Things near the earth fall to the ground unless something holds them up.
- Things can be done to materials to change some of their properties, but not all materials respond the same way to what is done to them.
- Different plants and animals have external features that help them thrive in different kinds of places.
- Living things are found everywhere in the world. There are different kinds of living things in different places.
- Some kinds of living things that once lived on earth have completely disappeared, although they were something like others that are alive today.
- Living things have parts that function to meet their basic needs.
- Senses can warn individuals about danger; muscles help them to fight, hide, or get out of danger.
- Living things not only need water, food, air, and waste removal, but also a particular range of temperatures in their environment.
Click here for a list of the things a second grader should Understand, Do and Know.
Earth and Space Science
Students will gain an understanding of Earth and Space Science through the study of earth materials, celestial movement, and weather.
Students will gain an understanding of Physical Science through the study of the forces of motion and the properties of materials.
Students will gain an understanding of Life Science through the study of changes in organisms over time and the nature of living things.