Welcome to the Salt Lake City School District Early Childhood Pre-Kindergarten Program! This first school experience is an important time for discovery and exploration while developing independence and social awareness for the beginning of a successful school career. Parents are their child's first and most influential teacher and we are partners in the education of their children. We involve parents through workshops, parent/teacher conferences, and other meaningful activities. Together, we present the best learning opportunities for your child.
Salt Lake City School District's Pre-K program strives to build relationships that allow children to interact positively with others. Since every child is unique, our preschools are organized to allow children to initiate activities that grow from personal interests and intentions. During this school year, children will develop their large muscles and gross motor skills. Through a variety of experiences with literature, children will learn concepts of print, and other literacy skills and fine motor skills will be developed while using written language to understand the purpose of print. Hands-on experiences, imagination, and creativity will be used to explore abstract ideas and emotions. This is the time of optimal language development and children will be using their spoken language for problem solving, communicating, and negotiating with peers and adults. Pre-K students come to school eager to learn, and will be provided with experiences that assist with a smooth transition to kindergarten.
All classes are held Monday through Thursday. To be considered for the full day options at Franklin, Liberty, and Mountain View, families must reside within school boundaries. All other preschool locations offer three hours per day and have a.m. or p.m.session options. School locations are: Backman, Beacon Heights, Bennion, Dilworth, Edison, Escalante, Franklin, Jackson, Lincoln, Meadowlark, Mountain View, Newman, North Star, Parkview, Riley, Washington and Whittier Elementary Schools.
To Participate Your Child Must:
- Be four years of age by September 1, 2017. If you child turns 4 after September 1, we have a variety of programs to offer.
- Be able to remain engaged in educational activities for 20-minute blocks of time throughout the session.
- Be able to follow directions.
- Be toilet trained.
We look forward to working with you to enhance your child's learning experiences! For more information call 801-974-8396.
2017-2018 Pre-Kindergarten Registration for Non-Title I and Title I Schools
Posted: April 24, 2017
When: Registration begins May 4 and 5 from 9:00 to 6:00 p.m. Beginning May 8, registration is ongoing until classes are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Where: Early Childhood Office located at the Glendale - Mountain View Community Learning Center (1388 South Navajo Street) Early Learning.
Registration Fee: $20.00 Title I Schools and $75.00 Non-Title I Schools
Tuition: *Based on a sliding scale with proof of income and dependents for Title I schools. It doesn't apply for Non-Title I
Title I Schools: Backman, Bennion, Edison, Escalante, Franklin, Jackson, Liberty, Meadowlark, Mountain View, Newman, North Star, Parkview, Riley, Washington, and Whittier Elementary Schools
Non Title I Schools: Beacon Height and Dilworth Elementary Schools
All classes are held Monday through Thursday. To be considered for the full day options at Franklin, Liberty, and Mountain View, families must reside within school boundaries. All other preschool locations offer three hours per day and have AM or PM session options.
Please bring with you:
- Child's official birth certificate (child must be 4 years old by September 1, 2017). If your child turns 4 after September 1, we have a variety of programs to offer.
- Child's Immunization records.
- Current proof of home address (such as a bill or rental agreement).
- Parent or legal guardian's picture ID.
- Non-refundable registration fee of $20 or $75 in the form of cash, check, credit card or money order.
- If you wich to be considered for reduced tuition, you must present you 2016 Income Tax Return (1040 form), in which your child's name must be listed, if you wish to be considered for reduced tuition. (Applies just for Title I schools)
The Early childhood Department reserves the right to cancel a class due to lack of enrollment.
First Day of Class: Tuesday, September 5, 2017