The Utah Legislature established public Education Online in the 2011 General Session. The program enables eligible students to earn high school graduation credit through the completion of publicly funded online courses. The purposes of Public Education Online program are to:
- Provide students with access to online learning regardless of where students attend school.
- Provide high quality learning options for students regardless of language, residence, family income, or special needs.
- Provide online learning options to allow students to acquire the knowledge and technology skills necessary in a digital world.
- Utilize the power and scalability of technology to customize education so that students may learn in their own style preference and at their own pace.
- Utilize technology to remove the constraints of traditional classroom learning, allowing students to access learning virtually at any time and in any place and give students the flexibility to take advantage of their peak learning time.
- Provide personalized learning where students can spend as little or as much time as they need to master the material.
- Provide greater access to self-paced programs enabling high-achieving students to accelerate academically, while struggling students may have additional time and help to gain competency.
- Allow students to customize their schedule to better meet their academic goals.
- Provide quality learning options to better prepare students for post-secondary education and vocational or career opportunities.
- Allow students to have an individualized educational experience.
Who is eligible:
You are eligible to participate in Public Education Online if you are in grades 9-12 and enrolled in a Utah public school. For the 2011-2012 school year, you may enroll in up to two credits in online courses (except for early graduation - see below). You may earn no more credits in a semester than the number of credits you may earn by taking a full course load during the regular school day at your high school classroom.
Statewide Online Education Information