Superintendent's Message 2019-01-11
Dear SLCSD families and community,
Welcome to the new year! I look forward to the opportunities and experiences that await us in 2019.
As I reflect at the beginning of this new calendar year, I can’t help but marvel at the progress we have made as a district in the first half of this school year. Our schools are safer, and our students are learning more. Test scores are increasing, and our teachers and employees are more focused on students’ needs. In 2018, I was also uniquely impressed by how our students and community worked together to support each other, most recently during the holiday season.
- Thank you, Uintah Elementary students, teachers, and community, for supporting East High students by gathering food and clothing for the Leopard Stash and Boutique. It’s great to see our schools working together to support all students.
- Our District Human Resource Services Department collected over 700 cans for school food pantries around the district.
- Our Teaching and Learning Department collected money to help an employee who is struggling.
- Child Nutrition collected food and gifts for families in their department.
- Thank you to Walker Edison for donating more than $10,000 to the Emergency Lunch Fund, covering the lunch debt for eight SLCSD schools.
- Several Meadowlark students and their families were invited to be part of the Frodsham Community Christmas celebration.
- Thank you to the Salt Lake City Police Department for reading to Mary W. Jackson students and donating books to students to take home. SLCSD is lucky to have such a great community partner.
These are just a few examples of the generous programs that have made such a difference in our district and in our community.
As we move forward into 2019, I will be looking for ways I can improve myself and ways I can improve the services this district offers to its students, employees, families, and community. I will work smarter and more collaboratively with those around me, and I challenge you to do the same. Together, I know we can accomplish great things.
Yours in education,