Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I enroll my child?

    To register and enroll in a Salt Lake City public school, prospective students must be at least five years of age on or before September 1 of the school year for which enrollment is sought. The following documentation is required (see below for more details).

    • Proof of residence or an approved exception
    • A certified copy of the student’s birth certificate or other reliable proof of the student’s identity and age
    • A certified and complete immunization record or official immunization exemption

    All students may attend their designated neighborhood school without consideration of enrollment capacity. Students who wish to attend a school other than their resident school may submit an link to application online during the early enrollment period, December 1 through the third Friday in February, for the upcoming school year. A student may also request a late enrollment transfer by submitting the same link to application at any other time of year. 

    Under the McKinney-Vento Act, homeless students are entitled to immediate enrollment and full participation in school even if they are unable to produce records normally required for enrollment.

    For additional questions, please contact Student Services at (801) 578-8206.

  • How do I pay for school meals?

    Salt Lake City School District encourages parents to pay for school meal online using MyPaymentsPlus. MyPaymentsPlus is a state-of-the-art online service that provides you the convenience and information you need to manage your student’s meal account. This system speeds up serving lines in the cafeteria, eliminates the need to send checks to school or worry about lost or forgotten lunch money, and ensures that your child will receive a nutritious meal.

    At no cost, MyPaymentsPlus allows you to check your student’s account balance online, view what your student has been eating in the cafeteria, and automatically receive email notifications when the account reaches a low balance. You can pay online into your student’s meal account using a check, credit card, or debit card. You can also use the Autopay feature to automatically replenish your student’s account when it reaches a low balance.

    To sign up, visit MyPaymentsPlus by clicking on the blue button above and then click on “Register a Free Account.” You will need your student’s ID number to complete registration. If you don’t know your child’s student ID, please contact your school to obtain this information.  

    To aid in managing your student’s account on-the-go, MyPaymentsPlus also has a free mobile app available for iPhone, iPad and Android phones. For questions pertaining to managing your account or navigating through the MyPaymentsPlus website, please email 


    Online payments are not the only option. Payments can be made at your school. For elementary and middle schools, cash or check payments will be accepted at the school office. At high schools, cash or check payments will be accepted by the kitchen manager or at the point of sale.

  • How do I apply for free and reduced meals?

    Parents are encouraged to wait and submit one application for free and reduced meal benefits for the entire household during the annual online student registration process in August 2019 prior to the first day of school. However, applications for the 2019-20 school year may be submitted at any time after July, 29 2019.

    Horizon's Solana Free & Reduced Online Application makes it easy and convenient to apply for meal benefits for your child at the click of a button. The online application asks for your student’s birth date and/or student identification number. If this information is not available, please contact the Salt Lake City School District for a paper application.

    Parents may also elect to print out and submit a paper application to the kitchen manager or child nutrition department. Applications are available in a variety of languages; If you would like to obtain an application in another language visit: 

    Important things to remember:

    1. Applications for free and reduced meal benefits must be submitted each school year and are not valid if dated or received prior to July 29, 2019.
    2. You are responsible for all meal charges accrued by your student until a completed application for free and reduced meal benefits is received by the kitchen manager or child nutrition department.
    3. Once your application is approved, you will receive a letter in the mail within 3 to 5 business days that details the meal benefit status of each student on the application.
    4. Remember to include the names of all students and family members living in your household when you apply for meal benefits. Please submit only one application per household per year.
    5. Online applications are instantly and securely submitted to the school district for processing and approval. It is extremely fast, convenient and reliable. Remember to record the confirmation number provided at the conclusion of the online application process to verify your application is complete. 
    6. Paper applications must be printed, completed, signed and submitted to the kitchen manager or child nutrition department. Processing paper applications may take up to 10 days to approve.
  • How do I obtain student records?

    In order to process your request for records, our office needs a release form completed, signed, and returned. We will promptly process your request upon receipt of the release form.

    Please return the completed form to:

    Information Systems and Technology
    Salt Lake City School District
    440 East 100 South
    Salt Lake City, UT 84105

    Fax: 801-886-8932

  • How do I get involved?
  • How do I apply to have my student attend a school outside my neighborhood boundaries?

    Students interested in enrolling in a Salt Lake City School District school, who live outside the district or school boundaries, may apply for an out-of-resident transfer. The Open Enrollment application can be found at link to Open Enrollment Application.

    For questions about Open Enrollment, please contact the Student Services Department by calling (801) 578-8206 or (801) 578-8475.

Scroll back to the top of the page Loading Spinner