Superintendent's Message - August 27, 2020
Welcome to the 2020-21 school year. While classes don’t officially start until Tuesday, September 8, it’s been wonderful to see many of you on our campuses this week. Moving forward, I wanted to let you know we will be sending weekly emails to you on Thursdays with important information during the remote learning period.
COVID-19 VISITOR GUIDELINES
We’re so excited to have you in our schools to meet teachers, check out laptops, etc. To maintain the health and safety of your family and our employees, please make sure you follow our COVID-19 visitor guidelines:
- Check in with the front desk and use hand sanitizer when you arrive.
- Wear a face mask at all times.
- Practice social distancing and keep 6 feet (2 meters) of space between yourself and others. No handshakes.
- Follow proper cough etiquette (cough into your elbow, cover your mouth with a tissue when coughing).
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer frequently or after touching frequently touched surfaces.
- Please do not visit if you are sick, experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, or are waiting for results of a COVID-19 test.
These guidelines will certainly make things different at schools this year, but we thank you in advance for your conscientious efforts to help keep our school community healthy and safe.
HOW TO CHECK OUT A COMPUTER OR HOTSPOT
Many of you indicated during online registration that you needed a computer or hotspot for your student this year. You can pick up these devices from your student’s school (please check with the school regarding pick-up instructions). Our community learning centers will have time every weeknight to check out student computers, from 5-7 pm from now through next Thursday, September 3.
The community learning center locations are:
- Liberty CLC - 1078 S. 300 E., Salt Lake City, UT
- Glendale CLC - 1388 S. Navajo Street (1340 W.), Salt Lake City, UT
- Rose Park CLC - 1105 W. 1000 N., Salt Lake City, UT
A quick reminder to make sure your student’s immunizations are up to date. While we will be learning remotely to start the year, we hope to get back into the classroom as soon as health conditions in our city allow. Students are required to be up to date on their vaccinations in order to attend school. This year, it’ll be especially important to also get the flu shot. Contact your healthcare provider or the Salt Lake County Health Department at 385-468-SHOT (7468) to schedule an appointment.
PANDEMIC ELECTRONIC BENEFIT TRANSFER (P-EBT)
The federal government’s “Families First Coronavirus Response Act” includes a benefit called Pandemic-EBT (P-EBT) for children who received free or reduced-price school meals in the 2019-2020 school year whose school was closed during the pandemic. If you are a Salt Lake County resident who is not enrolled in SNAP (formerly known as food stamps), you have to apply separately for P-EBT to receive a credit of up to $308 per child. Enrollment started August 1 and ends August 31. Learn more at pebtutah.org or apply at jobs.utah.gov/pebt.
We’re looking forward to seeing more of you at our schools in the coming week. Please respond to this email if you have any additional questions.
Salt Lake City School District