Skip To Main Content

How to Apply

Students interested in enrolling in a Salt Lake City School District school for the 2021-22 school year but who live outside the district or school boundaries may apply for an out-of-resident transfer during the Early Open Enrollment period, from December 1, 2020, until 4 p.m. on February 19, 2021.

Students who wish to attend a school outside their neighborhood boundaries and are currently enrolled in 6th grade must apply for transfer to the middle school of their choice and 8th grade students must make application for their high school of choice during the Open Enrollment window. 

Applications are available online, and must be submitted on time. They will not be accepted after 4 p.m. on February 19, 2021.

Students may apply for enrollment in schools designated as “Open” to transfer. Selected schools and programs may be at capacity for the coming school year and not available as a choice for out-of-resident students. Additionally, some schools, including charter schools, may require a separate application or lottery process.

A list of available schools and programs or other information pertaining to the open enrollment policy may be obtained after November 30, 2020, from the Student Services Department, (801) 578-8206 or (801) 578-8475. District charter schools have their own application and enrollment process. Please go to the individual charter school websites for more information, or contact the schools directly.

A currently enrolled non-resident student shall be permitted to remain enrolled, subject to the same rules and standards as resident students, without renewed applications in subsequent years UNLESS any of the following occurs:

  • The student graduates or is no longer a Utah resident;
  • The student is suspended or expelled from school; or
  • The district determines that school enrollment will exceed the open enrollment threshold.

Parents and students will be notified in writing by March 31, 2021, of acceptance or rejection of their Open Enrollment application. If the transfer of a currently enrolled student is being rejected for the coming year, parents will be notified in writing by March 15, 2021.

For questions about Early Open Enrollment, please contact the Student Services Department by calling (801) 578-8206 or (801) 578-8475.