Table of Contents / Contact

Internet Access


Updated Monday, March 30, 2020

We know many of you are still looking for ways to get internet access in your homes to help your students through the school dismissal. Here are three options:

Xfinity Hotspots

  • In light of the COVID-19 crisis, Comcast has also announced that their Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free, including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers.
  • For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit
  • Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser.

Smartphone Hotspots

  • Right now, most mobile phone providers have suspended data limits, giving customers access to unlimited data on their cell phones.  
  • This means smartphones can be turned into mobile hotpots to give internet access for up to 2-3 devices at a time.

Comcast Internet Essentials

  • Comcast is offering their Internet Essentials service to Salt Lake City School District families, and it includes two months of free Internet service, if you apply by April 30, 2020.
  • After your first two free months expire, you can either cancel the service (which you can do at any time) or keep it as a regular paying Internet Essentials customer for $9.95/month.
  • Salt Lake City School District has been pre-approved for a streamlined enrollment process. Call 855-846-8376 or apply online at You’ll need to provide your contact information and school name. 
  • Customers who do not have a social security number or who do not want to provide their social security number must provide one (1) form of Primary Identification OR two (2) forms of Secondary Identification.
    • The following items count as Primary Identification:
      • Current US or Canadian Driver's License or state photo ID card or expired photo Driver's License not more than five years from expiration date
      • Current US Passport or expired US Passport not more than five years from expiration date
      • Current Foreign Country Passport
      • Current photo US Military ID/Merchant Marine card
      • Current photo US Military Dependent ID card
      • Valid Resident Alien Card/Permanent Resident Card (INS Form I-551)
      • Certificate of US Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
      • Certificate of US Naturalization (N550, N-570, or N-578)
      • Employment Authorization Document (INS Form I-688 or I-766)
      • Bureau of Indian Affairs Tribal ID card
      • Photo employment ID card issued by US Government agency
      • Current Welfare / Social Services photo ID card
    • The following items count as Secondary Identification:
      • Matricula Consular Card
      • Non-photo Driver's license
      • US Department of State Non-Immigrant Visa
      • Social Security card
      • Court document in applicant's name – must contain full name, DOB, court seal Examples: Marriage certificate, Divorce decree, Legal name change
      • Current weapons or gun permit with photo
      • Current school photo ID card
      • Medicare/Medicaid card
      • Copy of utility bill in applicant's name is preferred
      • Voter Registration card
      • Current employment badge / photo ID
      • W-2 form
      • Selective Service Registration (Draft card)
      • Birth certificate
      • Mortgage coupons or notarized lease in applicant's name
      • Bank statement in applicant's name
      • Credit card in applicant's name

We know these solutions may not be ideal for some families. We are still looking into other options for our families and will let you know if anything else becomes available.

Scroll back to the top of the page Loading Spinner