Seeking a New Superintendent
Salt Lake City School District is seeking a new Superintendent to help fulfill the district’s mission of Excellence and Equity: every student, every classroom, every day.
Salt Lake City School District is a PreK-12 district located in the capital city of Utah, serving over 21,000 students and their families. Salt Lake City enjoys a unique blend of offerings, from enjoying the outdoors at the Red Butte Garden or Tracy Aviary, to local historical and cultural activities including the Natural History Museum of Utah, as well as a plentiful and diverse mix of shopping and dining options.
The district is guided by the Strategic Learning Plan, rooted in an emphasis on Curriculum, Instruction, Communication, and Community Engagement. In collaboration with families and community, the district holds high expectations for all students, responds effectively to individual needs, and provides a safe, healthy environment in which every student can learn the academic, problem-solving, and social skills required for success in college, career, and life.
The values we are looking for in a new Superintendent are:
- Is willing to listen to input but is a decision maker.
- Has knowledge of and successful experience in sound fiscal practice sand management of district resources, including appropriate participation of others in planning and decision-making.
- Inspires trust, self-confidence, and models high standards of integrity and personal performance with the ability to develop and communicate a vision of quality education for the future to the board, staff, and community.
- Is a strong communicator; speaking, listening, and writing.
- Is strongly committed to a “student first” philosophy in all decisions.
- Has classroom experience.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of special education that meets the individualized needs of each student.
- Has experience in the selection and implementation of educational priorities consistent with the interests and needs of students, staff, board, and community.
- Is comfortable leading innovation and reform efforts.
- Possesses the ability to enhance student performance, especially in identifying and closing or narrowing the gaps in student achievement.
- Promotes a positive and professional environment for district employees and the Board.
- Commitment to and experience in dealing with all genders, races, and socio-economic groups.
- Has experience recruiting and maintaining exceptional staff for the district and schools.
- Makes recommendations and decisions that are data-driven.