District Creates New Virtual School for Online Learners
Salt Lake City School District has a new elementary school created specifically for online, remote learning. Starting this fall, Salt Lake Virtual Elementary will offer an online option for students and families in grades K-6 who have found that home-based, online instruction is the right fit for their learning.
The learning options at Salt Lake Virtual Elementary include:
- Online classroom instruction on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
- Online or in-person small group instruction on Wednesday
- Opportunities for hands-on science and fine art opportunities on optional, in-person Wednesdays
- Instruction using district-approved materials and programs
- Print and virtual learning materials and experiences
- Access to the district’s online library and print libraries
- A district computer provided to each student
“Whether it’s for the health needs of students or families or the success students have found while learning in a remote setting, Salt Lake Virtual will meet the needs of students and families while creating opportunities for academic success in a friendly environment,” said Kenneth Limb, Principal.
Students at Salt Lake Virtual Elementary will be taught by highly qualified teachers who use the best online engagement and teaching practices. The school’s unique schedule offers an online environment with opportunities to have in-person support and extension activities, and devices will be provided to all registered students.
To attend Salt Lake Virtual Elementary, families can register their students using the district’s online registration system, http://registration.slcschools.org and click the button that says, “Register as a New Student.” In-person registration will be conducted in Room 208 at the district office (440 East 100 South, SLC, UT 84111) on:
- Monday, July 26, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 27, 12 - 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 28, 4 - 8 p.m.
While Salt Lake Virtual Elementary is designed for grades K-6, the district is also offering online learning options for other students. Middle school students will work with their teachers and administrators to schedule remote or in-person classes as needed to meet the needs of students. High school students who wish to learn online have three options. Innovations Early College High School provides a unique blend of online and in-class instruction. High school students can also work with their school counselors to enroll in classes at Utah Students Connect or the Statewide Online Education Program.