PLEASE BE AWARE - Many of the grants and waivers available during the pandemic are no longer available, and school meals are no longer free to all children. Households who need assistance purchasing school meals must apply for Free and Reduced Meal Benefits or qualify by direct certification.
Free and Reduced Price Meals
Every household must reapply each school year or be direct certified for their student to receive free and reduced price meal benefits. Parents are encouraged to annually submit one application (after July 1) for their entire household before their children attend school. Be sure to apply early to allow time for the approval process. Students who do not qualify for free or reduced price meals at time of service will be charged for their meal.
Note: Salt Lake City School District waives the added charge to our reduced price students - providing their school meal free of charge.
Households who qualify for and use the following assistance programs are direct certified for free and reduced meals.
- Food Stamps (SNAP),
- Foster Care,
- McKinney Vento Homeless, etc.
School Meal Prices for SY' 2022-23
FREE and REDUCED Student Meals (federally subsidized):
ALL Schools: Lunch - $0.00 / Breakfast $0.00
PAID Student Meals (federally subsidized):
Elementary Schools: Lunch - $2.00 / Breakfast $1.00
Middle Schools: Lunch - Lunch $2.30 / Breakfast $1.20
- High Schools: Breakfast - Lunch $2.50 / Breakfast $1.20
Non-Program Sales (not federally subsidized)
Adult and Second Meals: Lunch - $3.75 / Breakfast $2.75
Single Items: Entrée $2.00 / Fruit, Vegetable, or Side Dish $1.00 / Milk or Juice $0.50
IMPORTANT: Second student meals and non-enrolled child meals will be charged the full adult meal price.
Free & Reduced Price Meal Application
Horizon's Solana Free & Reduced Online Application makes it easy and convenient to apply for meal benefits for your child at the click of a button. Online applications are instantly and securely submitted to the school district for processing and approval. It is extremely fast, convenient and reliable.
To apply for free and reduced-price meals, households should fill out the application when they register their child/children for school. To apply online click on the "Apply Online" button at the top of the page or the "Apply Now" button below or you may also navigate to the application page: https://frapps.horizonsolana.com/SALL02.
Parents may also elect to print out and submit a paper application to the kitchen manager or child nutrition department. Paper applications are available in a variety of languages; If you would like to obtain an application in another language click the following link: USDA translated applications page.
Important things to remember:
- Every school year, EVERYONE must reapply/qualify for free and reduced meal benefits (after July 1). These federal meal benefits do not transfer from year to year.
- Submit only ONE APPLICATION for your entire household. Do not submit a separate application for each child who attends school.
- Be careful to include all students and members of your household on the application. Don’t miss anyone.
- You must provide your student(s) birthday and/or student identification number to complete the application. Contact your school secretary if you do not have this information.
- Upon completion, the computer program will provide a confirmation number. Keep a record of that number as proof that your application has been submitted.
- Remember that the parent/guardian is responsible for all meal charges accrued while your application is being approved. Don’t wait. Apply early!
- Once the application is approved, you will receive a letter by mail within 10 business days that identifies the qualified meal benefit status for each student.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your students' free or reduced meal benefits, please contact Janely at: 801-974-8380 or email: email@example.com