Free and Reduced Price Meals
Free and Reduced Price Meals
We encourage parents to submit an application/reapply per household each year (beginning July 1st) or be directly certified by the state to receive free or reduced-price meal benefits. Please be aware this is a separate application than a school fee waiver. Students who do not qualify for free or reduced-price meals will be charged for their meals.
Note: Salt Lake City School District waives the added charge to our reduced price students - providing their school meal free of charge.
Households who qualify for and use the following assistance programs are direct certified for free or reduced meals.
- Food Stamps (SNAP),
- Foster Care,
- McKinney Vento Homeless, etc.
Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)
The Community Eligibility Provision within the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs allows schools in high-poverty areas to offer nutritious meals at no cost to all students regardless of income level. Click here for more information.
School Meal Prices for SY' 2023-24
FREE and REDUCED Student Meals (federally subsidized):
ALL Schools: Lunch - $0.00 / Breakfast $0.00
PAID Student Meals (federally subsidized):
Elementary Schools: Lunch - $2.00 / Breakfast $1.00
Middle Schools: Lunch - Lunch $2.30 / Breakfast $1.20
- High Schools: Breakfast - Lunch $2.50 / Breakfast $1.20
Non-Program Sales (not federally subsidized)
Adult and Second Meals: Lunch - $3.75 / Breakfast $2.75
Single Items: Entrée $2.00 / Fruit, Vegetable, or Side Dish $1.00 / Milk or Juice $0.50
IMPORTANT: Second student meals and non-enrolled child meals will be charged the full adult meal price.
Free and Reduced Price Meal Application
Horizon's Solana Free and Reduced Online Application makes it easy and convenient to apply for meal benefits for your child at the click of a button. Online applications are instantly and securely submitted to the school district for processing and approval. It is extremely fast, convenient and reliable.
To apply for free and reduced-price meals, households should fill out the application when they register their child/children for school. To apply online click on the "Apply Online" button at the top of the page or the "Apply Now" button below or you may also navigate to the application page: https://frapps.horizonsolana.com/SALL02.
Parents may also elect to print out and submit a paper application to the kitchen manager or child nutrition department. Paper applications are available in a variety of languages; If you would like to obtain an application in another language click the following link: USDA translated applications page.
Important things to remember:
- Every school year, EVERYONE must reapply/qualify for free and reduced meal benefits (after July 1). These federal meal benefits do not transfer from year to year.
- Submit only ONE APPLICATION for your entire household. Do not submit a separate application for each child who attends school.
- Be careful to include all students and members of your household on the application. Don’t miss anyone.
- You must provide your student(s) birthday and/or student identification number to complete the application. Contact your school secretary if you do not have this information.
- Upon completion, the computer program will provide a confirmation number. Keep a record of that number as proof that your application has been submitted.
- Remember that the parent/guardian is responsible for all meal charges accrued while your application is being approved. Don’t wait. Apply early!
- Once the application is approved, you will receive a letter by mail within 10 business days that identifies the qualified meal benefit status for each student.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your students' free or reduced meal benefits, please contact Janely at: 801-974-8380 or email: email@example.com
Apply for Free and Reduced Meal Benefits - Online Application